Premier League : Manchester City continue their relentless run while United comeback to win big at home

Paul Pogba returned from injury to inspire Manchester United to a 4-1 win over Newcastle at Old Trafford. The France midfielder, fit again after a two-month absence, scored and set up another goal as United replied to Dwight Gayle’s early strike to keep themselves eight points behind Premier League leaders Manchester City.
Pogba created the equaliser for Anthony Martial before Chris Smalling put the hosts ahead. Pogba then increased the advantage and Romelu Lukaku made victory certain by ending his barren run.
United’s night got even better when they were able to bring Zlatan Ibrahimovic, out since April with a knee injury, on for his long-awaited comeback in the closing stages.
Newcastle grabbed the lead in the 14th minute after DeAndre Yedlin broke clear down the right and pulled the ball back. Victor Lindelof, making his first league start for United, slipped and Gayle took advantage to fire in a low shot off the post.
It was the first home goal United had conceded in the league this season and a second almost followed as Jonjo Shelvey played in Jacob Murphy but he shot wide.
United responded with Lukaku heading over before Pogba floated in a tempting cross for Martial to power home a 37th-minute equaliser.
United went ahead in first-half stoppage time as Smalling, still forward following a corner, rose to meet an Ashley Young cross at the far post.
United increase their advantage early in the second half. Lukaku’s cross from the right was met by a cushioned header from Marcus Rashford and Pogba raced in to tap over the line.
Pogba was withdrawn with just over 20 minutes remaining to a good ovation but there was more to come from United as Lukaku increased their lead moments later.
That left the crowd in good heart and they had even more reason to cheer as Ibrahimovic came on to help close out the victory.
Leicester City Vs. Manchester City :
Jesus and De Bruyne on target as Manchester City’s winning run goes on Manchester City’s record-breaking start to the Premier League season continued with a dominant display against Leicester at the King Power Stadium. Goals either side of half-time from Gabriel Jesus and Kevin De Bruyne, both of them lovely moves from Pep Guardiola’s team, saw City win 2-0 to stretch their lead at the top of the table to nine points ahead of Manchester United’s home game against Newcastle on Saturday evening.
It was an 11th victory in the first 12 Premier League matches and meant City extended their club record run of consecutive wins in all competitions to 16 fixtures.Vincent Kompany was back in the City side for the first time since the end of August, with Nicolas Otamendi suspended, and the centre-half must have worried that his long-awaited return might be short-lived when he tripped Jamie Vardy after only two minutes.Vicente Iborra’s defence-splitting through ball set Vardy en route to goal, with Kompany desperately stretching to make a challenge. The speedy striker would have been away and you can only assume the presence of John Stones nearby saved Kompany from a red card.Whether Stones would have caught Vardy will be debated, but it can be the only reason why referee Graham Scott felt a yellow card would suffice.
City were dealt a blow just before the half hour when Stones pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury, leaving Guardiola without both of his recent first-choice central defenders. Eliaquim Mangala came on for his first Premier League appearance in over two months.It did not upset City too much, however, as they took the lead at the end of the first half. A lovely exchange of passes between De Bruyne and Sterling on the edge of the box saw the latter find Silva’s run in behind the Leicester defence and he rolled the ball across goal for Jesus to tap it into an empty net.
If the timing of that goal hurt Leicester, there was worse to come at the beginning of the second half. Harry Maguire came close to an equalising goal but his effort, after Ederson had dropped a cross, struck a post. Fernandinho then put the wheels in motion for a devastating counter-attack involving De Bruyne and Sane, who cut the ball back to the edge of the penalty area for his team-mate to rifle a left-foot shot into the top corner of the net.
Leicester’s response was good. Vardy twice got in behind the City defence and although he was narrowly offside on each occasion, it gave the visitors something to think about.Guardiola’s side comfortably saw out the remainder of the match, though, and would have added to their lead had it not been for some last-ditch defending from Claude Puel’s men, who tasted defeat under their recently-appointed manager for the first time.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.