Virender Sehwag and Tom Moody in race to be the next head coach of Team India

Virender Sehwag has officially applied for the position of next India head coach, according to a Press Trust of India report on Thursday (June 1). While the Jumbo, Anil Kumble, the present coach, is a direct entry, the other applicants had to send in their entries till May 31.

Australian former player Tom Moody and Richard Pybus, the Englishman who previously coached Pakistan and Bangladesh, too have applied for the same. Lalchand Rajput and Dodda are amongst other Indian applicants. Ganesh played four Tests for India and one One-Day International in 1997.

Virender Sehwag held the position of the Team Director with the Kings XI Punjab in the recently concluded Indian Premier League and has played 104 Tests, 251 ODIs and 19 Twenty20 Internationals. Moody, on the other hand, has successfully coached Sunrisers Hyderabad last year and has been instrumental in their success. Tom Moody surely has had the more coaching experience than the aggressive Delhi batsman. These two were the most notable applicants for the post which will technically be vacant after India’s Champions Trophy 2017 campaign as Anil Kumble’s term will come to an end.

Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman – The BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee – will choose the next India coach like they did last year. While in all likelihood, Kumble should have been given an extension, Amitabh Choudhary, the BCCI acting secretary, said it’s just a procedure that is being followed.

Just when the Kohli-Kumble combo was in the news for the fantastic run of team’s performance. There were rumors of a rift between coach Anil Kumble and captain Kohli. The BCCI joint secretary Amitabh Chaudhary today on record denied any rift between Kumble and captain Virat Kohli. However, the fact that a player of Sehwag’s stature has applied gives enough indication that everything is not right in the Indian dressing room. But who knows, what’s going on in the dressing room and what’s not?

“It’s a very simple issue. The appointment which was made last year was after a process had been gone through. And it was made for a period. That period is coming to an end, so the BCCI is just following the process. To add, if we don’t follow a process it’s not supposed to be good. If you follow a process, it’s supposed to be good, isn’t it?” he said.

“You can see the full calendar and tell me at what position there was a free slot. After one tournament, there is another, then another series, home series, away series. Something is always on throughout the year. This is a process which is well defined. The Cricket Advisory Committee is seized with the matter and will deal with it,” Choudhary added.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*